Date Posted: 7/20/2021Apply Now
· This position requires the ability to work across multiple disciplines and areas of specialty to help round out the spacecraft design team.
· Responsibility for coordinating with several different vendors supplying subsystem designs and in some cases hardware for the mission, including Attitude Control Subsystem (ACS), Mission Design, and Propulsion.
· Responsibility for coordinating with subsystem engineers to ensure a unified set of documents is produced defining the system requirements, interfaces, and key resource budgets.
· Create maneuver, pointing and operations sequences for the spacecraft using a specialized software tool that generates scripted commands for flight software. Learn the spacecraft flight software and its associated scripting language to create flight scripts that will operate the vehicle in deep space. Create associated Python scripts to support integration and test of the entire spacecraft while exercising these flight commands through various test scenarios, especially verification of the spacecraft fault protection system.
· Collaborate with the Attitude Control System, Mission Design and Propulsion partner organizations, help define interfaces between these subsystems and the rest of the spacecraft, coordinate schedules of activities, assist with design trades, and master the operations of each of these systems with the help and instruction from the vendors.
· The work requires being able to help monitor and guide the design of these subsystems.
Expertise at basic electrical and mechanical engineering and hands on experience with designing, implementing and testing hardware. Good interpersonal communication skills are required to stay in sync with the rest of the team. Familiarity with or desire to learn about Attitude Control System hardware/software, system engineering techniques, mission and trajectory design, and small biprop propulsion systems is needed. Clear, concise writing ability is required. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a small team demonstrating collaboration, leadership and hands-on execution. Some occasional travel. Experience scripting in at least one computer language is required. Must be able to thrive in a challenging technical environment, excel at learning, and enjoy a job that will be different every day.
Engineering or science degree strongly preferred. 1 - 5 years of hands on experience strongly preferred. Familiarity with deep space missions is desired but not required. Some knowledge of Python and Linux is desired to support testing and operating the spacecraft. Familiarity with orbital mechanics, dynamics and control theory or strong interest in learning is desired.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To apply please email your resume to email@example.com
Thank you for applying to the Systems Engineer position. Your job application has been routed to the appropriate branch for consideration. Please make note of your Password, as you will need this if you are selected to move forward in the process. Your email address will most likely serve as your username.