Client in Houston is looking for a Civil Engineer. Must be a PE.
Provides design services for support of projects that involve Substation Engineering and Transmission Engineering for High Voltage Electric facilities. The position interfaces with other discipline project leads, client engineering and construction managers, surveying and geotechnical engineering vendors, equipment and structure vendors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
Minimum Qualifications / Experience:
- Work with project team to create or modify all civil and structural design documents
- Develop steel and foundation detail drawings
- Apply engineering application software for the design of structural steel, foundations and site preparation
- Use project specific standards and ensure that the design efforts are progressing in the most efficient manner possible
- Perform engineering and design functions as necessary to meet project schedules
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with customer representatives, project team, and management
- Ensure correct application of engineering standards including the NESC, ASCE, IBC, AISC and ACI
- Properly use the document management system
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
- Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university, or equivalent degree with experience in the Civil Engineering field, is required
- Candidates must be a licensed professional engineer. If registered in a state other than where the engineer will practice, the individual must be able to obtain a license within one year of date of hire.
- Direct experience and proven knowledge in concrete and steel structural engineering is required.
- A minimum of three years of direct experience and proven knowledge in concrete and structural steel engineering is required. Experience in the electric utility industry is preferred.
Possess skills in the following areas:
- The ideal candidate has experience with both site grading, drainage and earthwork as well as design of cantilevered utility structures, towers, and masonry single story buildings as well as foundations as may be found in electric substations or other similar type facilities
- Knowledge and understanding of steel and concrete design, structural analysis, as well as knowledge and understanding of substation and transmission line components and their functions
- Strong knowledge of common engineering application software; Experience with RISA 3D, PLS-Tower or STAAD Pro is preferred
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of engineering standards including NESC, ASCE, IBC, AISC and ACI
- Extensive knowledge of civil and structural design documents and drawings necessary to complete a substation or transmission project
- Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
- Working in a team environment
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.